Thursday, September 25, 2008

Cool Kids Interview - Version 1

"Yo, Canadian immigration is the worst.” “It was worth it though, I crowd surfed for my first time last night!!!”

Hipsters and hiphopsters alike gushed at the Cool Kids show last week on Queen West, but little do they know how excited they made Mikey and Chuck.

“I just closed my eyes and eased into it. There’s an art to crowd surfing, you know.”

For a duo with world tours and leaked albums under their vintage Gold and A Pager tighten belts, crowd surfing would seem like a given. They proved me wrong. I had an early morning interview with the guys after their sold-out show on the way to their next stop in Australia. They were exhausted yet extremely considerate and easy-going, filling me in on the new found fame.

Chuck: We like Toronto.
Mikey: Last night was crazy.
Tara: And you had to drive here, didn’t you?
Chuck: Yeah, man. But we did it..we don’t disapoint.
Tara: Crowd surfing?
Chuck: I did it!
Tara: What don’t you guys do?
Chuck: Ha. We’re in a good place right now, lots going on.
Tara: Break down the label situation.
Mikey: We’re with an indie label in Chicago.
Chuck: Yeah. That’s a whole other situation. Suits see money, they’re our means to get what we want but their bottom line is dollars. We’re in control though.
Tara: The leaked album, how does that feel?
Mikey: Means we’re hot.
Tara: What else do you have coming up?
Chuck: We’re collaborating with Joe Madden, working on our live set, touring.
Mikey: But we still check our MySpace!
Chuck: Yes, down time is My Space time.
Tara: You write back to all your fans?
Mikey: Oh yes. We hit everybody back on there- and on Facebook too if you can find me.
Tara: You guys met on the internet.
Chuck: Yes, yes we did.
Tara: Fate?
Mikey: Ha! Seriously, though, I hate changing my Facebook status
Tara: What are you going to change yours to today?
Chuck: Crowd surfing in Toronto!

No comments: