Friday, September 26, 2008

Yo-EV! (DJ Ev Starr) HipHopCanada

Toronto, ON - Yo-Ev! has put serious time into his DJ groundwork and he's well aware that this will separate him from his peers. Investing in himself young, he started working in clubs before he was of legal age and began his slot on the historical hip-hop radio show The Masterplan Show while entering University. Currently the main DJ on the Masterplan Show, freshly graduated, and well-prepared, EV recently dropped his summer 2008 mixtape What It Is. Personally having known Ev for years and catching an early glimpse of his hustle, it's no surprise to me that ears are catching on; his focus is unshakable. Way ahead of the rest, his taste of music can be seen in the playlist selections months before they become club bangers and chart toppers. Yo-Ev! AKA DJ Ev Starr has time, patience and dedication behind his branding and this is definitely a case where the music speaks for itself. I had the opportunity to have Ev break down his strategy, movement and future plans. Here's what he had to say:

Tara: You’ve been doing this for a while… how did you come up to being the main DJ on the Masterplan Show?

Yo-Ev!: I started off like everyone else, learning the basics. It was my ability to throw good parties at such a young age that started to really set me apart. Pretty fast things like corporate sponsorships and regular club nights started being presented to me. I learned from those around me, even their mistakes. I was smart about my moves and I really enjoyed what I was doing, it was natural – everything else with hard work falls into place.

Tara: What equipment do you use?

Yo-Ev!: I use Tech 12's, Rane Empath (but really want one of the new joints they got), SP404, Mac Pro/Desktop, Protools…

Tara: Are you all digital? Any vinyl left?

Yo-Ev!: I don’t think that I’ll ever sell any of my vinyl but it is definitely more sensible to be digital. Although vinyl has little benefit to me now other than sampling, I did benefit from many years of its use.

Tara: How so?

Yo-Ev!: It taught me how to be organized and think ahead and [it] improved my physical ability handling equipment. Mp3s are so easily attained and produced now that you are able to quickly get your hands on and customize infinite amounts of music. The era of tangible vinyl and CDs demanded a lot more time/leg work. Taking this labor out of the task of DJing, this puts us at somewhat of a paradox.

Tara: What do you mean?

Yo-Ev!: “Everyone’s a DJ my Grandma, she DJs, everyone’s a DJ with a lap top band.” Ya dig? Everyone is a DJ now- largely due to the increased accessibility of spinning, because they have a computer and a simplified program and a line on a mediocre music blog or file sharer. That defines a significant number of the DJs filling spots in Toronto’s main club district. It shortens the learning curve, reduces the amount of musical knowledge and research needed, as well as neglects many aspects of the science of DJing by taking much of the manual labor and thought out of the activity.

Tara: So you’re not playing clubs anymore?

Yo-Ev!: I love playing clubs but I’ve come of age and grown to realize the limitations often when you choose to do so... the audience dictates what the DJ will play at most venues unless the DJ is dictating who the audience is... is the person there to see the DJ and listen to good music? Or are they there for the two dollar drinks and inexpensive cover.

Tara: How do you deal with that as a DJ, what do you do? How do you get paid if you’re not in the clubs?

Yo-Ev!: You have to work on building a following of people who “get it”, people that appreciate you for what you are bringing to the table. Often that doesn’t equate well with a big business plan, but it is much more satisfying knowing you are building your own identity. In recent months I have been more selective of what work I do, I consciously booked more shows out of town and special events more off beat from what I had been use to in the past; I’ve grown much fonder of releasing material online (recently What it Is).

Tara: How do you feel about the state of Canadian hip-hop?

Yo-Ev!: Although hip-hop and rap as the dominant genre of young peoples seems on the decline, Canadian artists are attaining higher levels of success and exposure than ever seen before in my opinion. While some can be quick to rag on Kardi or write him off as been done, he is still gaining more success on a world scale daily. The noticeable amount of talk around the world on message boards regarding Drake as artist is evidence that Canadian’s can still come up. All in all the professionalism of our industry is coming along. While some artists may still be struggling with their production and brand – HHC has their digital label launching, Soze dropped me a line over the Stylus weekend that the Mayhem project was going to be seeing a new outlet, and other local group acts are now in positions to release music with large distributors.

Tara: Your Monday Mixes are being widely received in the dance music scene. Are you leaving hip-hop?

Yo-Ev!: (I) could never leave hip-hop, I’ve spent way too many years of my life living and breathing it. I grew tired of being pigeonholed as only one type of DJ despite having always grown up around such a broad selection of music. There was a period in my life when having headphones on was like wearing horse blinders and I was tight casting what I was listening to but it was only a brief moment of my adolescence. Changing technology has had a significant impact on the way we listen to music. There are few excuses for having a narrow selection of music, unless flat- that’s just your personal taste. Say goodbye to CDs, Vinyl… It’s not like back at the record store where you knew you had to spend money on that hip-hop track before dropping coin in the house, or reggae section. I’m a DJ that appreciates a good beat, call the beat whatever you want.

Tara: What advice can you give artists who want to get their music played?

Yo-Ev!: Djevstarr@masterplanmovement.com with the subject: Tracks For Masterplan/DJ Ev Starr. If I hit you back I’ve got to be honest – please don’t catch feelings if it’s not what you want to hear and I stress that people send music they’ve taken a good listen to (mixing and mastering is all part of the product, don’t just lay that vocal and call it a day). Also, check out http://www.myspace.com/djevstarr.

Tara: What’s next?

Yo-Ev!: Touring Europe, more Monday Mixes, the Radio, more Parties, the launch of Masterplanmovement.com. And just more work.HipHopCanada: Shout-outs?Yo-Ev!: DTS, Deeks, JB – The whole Masterplan fam, Rated R, Jug-E, Strizzy (What The Blogclot?), Richie, Chris J., Y.B.S.P, St. Woods. Clubbangaz.com and all those that have supported me/wouldn’t want their names listed here. Monday mix available at: http://doesitlooklikeigiveafuck.wordpress.com.

Editor's note: For more information on Yo-Ev! AKA DJ Ev Starr check out http://www.myspace.com/djevstarr and http://www.myspace.com/themasterplanshow.

No comments: